Wednesday 30 November 2011

Irish Coffee Ice Cream!






Hey Folks! Since it's wintry out I decided my next ice cream project had to have a bit of  a kick in it. Nothing fruity and zingy that reminded me of our long past summer. Than it hit me Irish Coffee Ice Cream has caffeine and alcohol (whiskey)- double whammy going on! Plus I've been wanting to try out this recipe for a while. Just never got around to it until now.

Recipe

The recipe used came from the Ice Cream Ireland blog.
http://icecreamireland.com/2009/05/




Ingredients:

150g Sugar   
5 Egg Yolks                                                                                      
240ml Milk
4 tablespoons/10g Instant Coffee
3 tablespoons/45ml Irish Whiskey

  1. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until it thickens.
  2. In a pot, bring the milk to a low simmer.
  3. Slowly pour the milk into the the egg and sugar mixture whilst beating it in.
  4. Than pour the mixture back into the pot and set it at a low heat . The custard should remain at a temperature between 65-70c otherwise the eggs will start to scramble!
  5. Continuously stir the custard until it thickens slightly and it just coats the back of the spoon.
  6. Remove from the heat straight away and stir in a small amount to the coffee until it is dissolved. Some of my coffee would not dissolve for me so I chucked the lumpy bits outs. I love coffee so my tbsps were quite heaped so I guess I ended up back with the original quantity stated in the recipe.
  7. Add this coffee mix to the custard and transfer it to a container and chill in the fridge until it reaches 5c. I gave it  an hour and a half in the fridge.
  8. Stir the whiskey into the mixture.
  9. Whip the cream until it doubles in volume and you can see soft peaks. Try not to over whip. Since I used Elmlea, it did not form peaks but did double in volume.
  10. Fold the cream into the mixture.
  11. Freeze using a domestic ice cream machine, or cover and place in the freezer, stirring every few hours to break up the ice crystals. I left the mixture in my ice cream machine for 15 mins.
  12. For a more solid consistency, leave the ice cream in the freezer for a few hours.
Note: I used low fat milk and Elmlea (cream alternative) because that's what I had in the fridge and because it was wet and windy out.

Verdict: Definitely strong tasting but in a good way. It so is an Irish Coffee in ice-cream form and cold. Coffee generally has a bitter taste to it but the sugar in this just makes it taste sweeeet!

Third Party Verdict: 2 of my flatmates were kind enough to test my ice cream out and both agreed it had the yum factor and they could taste the whiskey which was a plus for them.  Heey not a bad result as both flatmates don't drink coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment